Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Yum sticks! - aka Homemade Whole Wheat Teething Biscuits

So I made these not-quite-biscuit-not-quite-cookies (just called them yum sticks after a while) for my son and thought I'd share! He seems to like them,and the ingredients are very few.
So here's the scoop:
1c. Whole wheat flour
1c. Infant rice cereal
2 tsp. molasses (more if you want it sweeter, this recipe is not very sweet at all)
1 mashed banana
Ice water

Mix all but the water in a large bowl, then add the water last, a little bit at a time, until you get a nice doughy, not sticky consistency. Of it gets sticky, just add a bit more flour or cereal. I recommend rolling out with a rolling pin, then cutting into little sticks or shapes rather than try to shape with your hands, it's a little prettier... though both of my batches were not very pretty...






Bake about 8-10 min on 350, or until the edges start to brown a little.
These are based loosely on one of the recipes I found on this super great page with lots of tasty ideas: http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/teethingbiscuits.htm

Use your own judgement on whether or not your wee one might be ready for these if you choose to make some. They are not quite as crunchy as say, the Earth's Best teething biscuits, but more just chewy. I think so long as they have a good handle on chewing bigger pieces before swallowing, you are set. My son is almost 12 months now, and probably wouldn't have given him these 1-2 months ago, but as we know, every baby is different!




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment